Along with being uncomfortable, high humidity causes damage to your home and belongings. It is essential to keep moisture within recommended levels to improve air quality, and the best dehumidifiers can maintain a comfortable living space year-round.
Smart devices are an option for those who wish to control their indoor environment through an app or voice commands. These units assess humidity in the home and adjust settings as needed. Wi-Fi-enabled dehumidifiers function automatically, alerting users to any necessary filter changes or full reservoirs, and some feature continuous drainage to a nearby basement drain or floor drain so you never have to worry about emptying the internal bucket.
Modern dehumidifiers are rated based on how many pints of moisture they can remove from the air. Some feature an Energy Star certification, awarded to electronics that use electricity efficiently. While the most common use for these humdifiers is to dry out a damp basement, they’re useful in other rooms in the house as well. With dry air circulating through the house, the potential for mold significantly decreases.
- Our Picks for the Best Dehumidifiers
- How Can You Tell If It Is Too Humid Indoors?
- Why Do I Need a Dehumidifier?
- What Happens When My Home’s Humidity Is Too High?
- What Is a Good Humidity Level for My Home?
- The Best Dehumidifiers for the Home
- Our Top Pick – Honeywell Smart Wi-Fi Dehumidifier
- Runner Up – HomeLabs 3,000 Sq. Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier
- Best Dehumidifiers for Tight Spaces – Midea Cube Dehumidifier MAD50S1QWT
- Best Dehumidifiers for Quiet Operation – Vacplus Dehumidifier VA-D1901
- Best Dehumidifiers for Ease of Use – Ivation Dehumidifier IVADUWIFI50WP
- Wrapping Up
Our Picks for the Best Dehumidifiers
Price current as of October 7, 2021
How Can You Tell If It Is Too Humid Indoors?
If it is too humid indoors, you will feel it in the air. Moist air feels heavy, sticky, and damp. Elevated moisture levels also cause foggy windows and a musty smell due to moisture buildup. Condensation, discolored stains, or mold on the walls are all potential signs that your home is too humid. If you are experiencing signs of increased humidity, consider getting your home inspected by a professional, or at a minimum, installing an air quality monitor and dehumidifier to remove the excess moisture in the air.
It is also important to consider the surrounding climate and temperature. If humidity is high, it is more likely to be humid indoors. Daily tasks such as cooking, showering, drying clothes, washing dishes, and running heating appliances add moisture to the air. Drafty or open windows and cracks in the siding and foundation allow moisture to enter the home. Home design, building materials, and insulation also contribute to high humidity indoors.
Why Do I Need a Dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier removes moisture and keeps the humidity at appropriate levels. Without one, the surrounding air feels uncomfortably damp and sticky. Humidity makes it hard for the body to regulate its internal temperature, so you may feel hot and sweat more. Besides just discomfort, humid air encourages allergens, dust mites, and other particulate matter to linger in the household. These contaminants damage the lungs and worsen pre-existing conditions. The best dehumidifiers will remove moisture from the air to protect occupants with allergies, asthma, or other pulmonary diseases.
In any case, when the humidity level gets too high, removing moisture is critical to prevent damage. They don’t have to run all the time either: most of the best dehumidifiers automatically shut off when the desired humidity level is reached, and then periodically test the air to see if how much moisture is present and run accordingly.
What Happens When My Home’s Humidity Is Too High?
Along with health and comfort effects, increased humidity damages insulation, siding, paint, and structural components throughout the home. Increased moisture causes wood to rot or swell, warping furniture. In addition, the water in the air encourages more serious problems like mold and mildew. Using a dehumidifier is an excellent way to prevent costly damage to your home.
What Is a Good Humidity Level for My Home?
According to the Mayo Clinic, the desired relative humidity level for comfort and health is between 30-50%. Excess humidity can trigger discomfort and health problems. You also don’t want it to fall below 30%, as this dries out the skin and causes coughing. This ideal value also fluctuates depending on the specific room and season. Bedrooms should be closer to 50% humidity to avoid drying out the mucous membranes while you sleep. In the winter, the ideal moisture level drops to 30%. If the outdoor humidity drops below this threshold, you should consider installing a humidifier to avoid dry skin, coughing, and other health problems.
The Best Dehumidifiers for the Home
Here are our current picks for the best dehumidifiers for the home. Many of our recommendations are smart-home compatible, giving you even more control over the humidity levels in your home, even when you’re not there. Most dehumidifiers also include an app that allows you to control things like fan speed, warn you when the air filter needs cleaning, alert you when the water bucket is full, and set schedules to help you run the dehumidifier when you want.
Which size dehumidifier you should buy depends on room size. A small dehumidifier of 30 pints or less is typically good to dehumidify small spaces like a bedroom or family room, but a larger dehumidifier, such as a 50-pint or 70-pint dehumidifier is necessary for larger rooms, like a damp basement or rec room.
All the tested dehumidifiers on our list are great choices, although each has its own unique features which make them top contenders.
Our Top Pick – Honeywell Smart Wi-Fi Dehumidifier
Coming in 30-pint, 50-pint, and 70-pint options, the Honeywell Smart Dehumidifier is perfect for small and large rooms up to 4,000 square feet. Honeywell is a trusted brand, providing outstanding warranties for all its dehumidifiers, and we own the 50-pint dehumidifier model and are extremely pleased with its performance. The Honeywell Comfort app alerts you whenever the water collection bucket is full or when the filter needs cleaning: cleaning the air filters is as simple as a quick faucet rinse, or you can choose continuous draining to a nearby floor drain with the included hose and the built-in pump.
This large capacity dehumidifier is also Wi-Fi-enabled, allowing users to change the humidity and fan-speed settings with Amazon Alexa voice commands. It also is Energy Star rated, and is one of the more energy-efficient dehumidifiers on our list, and the best smart dehumidifier in our opinion.
- POWERFUL DEHUMIDIFIER FOR ROOMS UP TO 1000 SQUARE FEET: This powerful beast effectively removes up to 30 pints of moisture from the air (20-Pint 2019 DOE Standard) to protect walls, curtains, furniture and appliances from excess household moisture. Ideal for basements, living rooms, cellars, and storage rooms.
- PEACE OF MIND WITH A BRAND YOU TRUST: Honeywell Dehumidifiers are top rated by an independent, US-based product safety-testing agency since 2016 and all Honeywell Dehumidifiers are backed by an outstanding warranty. Plus, if you ever need help, the Honeywell Home Comfort customer service hotline connects you directly to an in-house customer support team who are ready to help (during office hours).
- SMART & VERSATILE: Wi-Fi-Enabled and compatible with Amazon Alexa voice commands, the Honeywell Smart Dehumidifier can be controlled from almost anywhere. Change humidity and fan-speed settings without moving away from your busy routine.
- EASY TO USE: The detachable water tank with comfort-grip handle & anti-spill tank guards make it a breeze to empty. OR connect included the drain tube to the Continuous Drain Outlet for carefree, automatic drainage.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: The durable air filter helps reduce dust and washes clean under a faucet – no filter replacements necessary. A Filter Clean Alert reminds you to maintain the filter for optimal operation.
Price current as of October 7, 2021
Runner Up – HomeLabs 3,000 Sq. Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier
While HomeLabs’s dehumidifiers aren’t smart-home compatible, they are the best-selling and best-reviewed dehumidifiers on Amazon. Coming in 22, 35, and 50-pint models, you’ll be able to dry out rooms up to 4,500 square feet in size with the largest model. All controls for the dehumidifier is located on the top of the unit, which allows you to both monitor humidity levels and use special preset settings to control how long the unit runs as well as a comfort option that sets humidity automatically, and a turbo option for maximum moisture removal.
- 3,000 sq ft Large Dehumidifier: Our dehumidifier removes up to 35 pints (50 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) of water from the air per day. This moisture-removing beast is fit for any basement, cellar, or large room, and its Energy Star certified, so it quickly and effectively absorbs moisture without racking up your energy bill.
- Designed For The Modern Home: That most dehumidifiers are clunky eyesores is news to nobody. We designed with the modern consumer in mind: a sleek clean look, convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a quiet fan that won’t drown out your current binge-watching obsession.
- Super Easy To Use: Dehumidifiers don’t need to be complicated, so ours isn’t. Adjust to your ideal moisture setting, then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, at which point it will automatically shut-off. Don’t got time for that? There’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining. The hose is not included; we recommend a ⅝” diameter garden hose with an internally threaded end, and optionally Teflon tape for extra security.
- Eliminates Moistness & Odor: Moist is a bad word. Our portable dehumidifier reduces odors and moisture through its built-in pump compressor. It also features a Turbo mode that increases fan speed from Normal Air CFM 165 (cubic feet per minute) to High Air CFM 188 for maximum moisture removal and odor reduction.
- Important Things To Know - Dehumidifiers emit heat when in use (that’s how they absorb the moisture). This product won’t work in the same room as an evaporative cooler and is intended for spaces between 1,500 and 3,000 square feet. It measures 15.4 x 11 x 24.3 inches, has a 1.8-gallon water tank capacity, and removes up to 35 pints of moisture from the air per day.
Price current as of October 7, 2021
Best Dehumidifiers for Tight Spaces – Midea Cube Dehumidifier MAD50S1QWT
The Midea Cube Dehumidifier’s unique extendable design makes it easy to use just about anywhere, even in small spaces, but still qualify as a “high capacity dehumidifier.” The “lift-and-twist” mechanism allows the device to operate in extended or nested form, depending on your available space. Storing it in nested form when it’s not in use takes up far less space than a traditional dehumidifier.
The Midea portable dehumidifier collects up to 50 pints of water and can keep humidity steady anywhere between 35-85%. Continuous operation is also possible by connecting the included drain hose and using the built-in pump, allowing the unit to continuously drain itself. A highly efficient compressor limits energy usage and lowers your electric bill. There are also different present humidity settings for different rooms, such as the bathroom, basement, bedroom, or crawlspace. You can track humidity and water levels in the app, where a predictive bucket fill algorithm provides an estimate of when you must empty the water tank.
- LIFT-AND-TWIST DESIGN - World's first extendable dehumidifier offers unparalled flexibility - operate in extended or nested form.
- SMALLER FORM, BIGGER CAPACITY - Up to 3X larger water tank allows the Midea Cube to operate up to 3X longer than a conventional dehumidifier. You can enjoy more time without the hassle of emptying the water tank.
- 4,500 SQUARE FEET OF COVERAGE - Our dehumidifier is able to collect 50 pint (Similar to 70 PT-2012 DOE) of water a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%, perfect for use in basement, bathroom, bedroom, or crawlspace.
- SET IT AND FORGET IT - Versatile, no-bucket option provides more flexibility to remove moisture. You can remove the water tank and place the unit above the sink using the included drain hose, or position it over a floor drain, near a window or door.
- COMPACT DESIGN - The nested design means you can easily find a place to store the unit when the space becomes dry, or extend it to its full capacity whenever you need it. Perfect for bedrooms, living room or basement.
Price current as of October 7, 2021
Best Dehumidifiers for Quiet Operation – Vacplus Dehumidifier VA-D1901
The Vacplus Dehumidifier is an excellent option for those who wish to reduce humidity from the comfort of their bed or couch with the Vacplus app. There are four different operation modes – standard, raining, drying, and sleep – that function to fit your needs, and automatically adjust the fan speed. When it’s too cold to hang clothes outdoors, the drying setting removes moisture from clothes and prevents damp odors. As opposed to direct heat, this quiet dehumidifier speeds up the drying process while making any fabric feel softer. Moving the device from room to room is easy with the tuck-away handle and casters.
The app can function as a remote for the dehumidifier, and the Vacplus uses smart scheduling to keep your home dry. The dehumidifier uses intelligent monitoring to adjust moisture levels, so you don’t have to worry about turning the device on and off. Finally, the Vacplus operates at a low decibel to avoid noisy disturbances, making it a great option in places where a loud fan might be disruptive. It’s the quietest dehumidifier on our list.
- 100% RISK-FREE SATISFACTION: Vacplus always pays 120% attention to our customers - each Vacplus dehumidifier will be meticulously tested by our in-house engineering team to proactively address and prevent design or mechanical issues. Buy Vacplus now!
- FULL-FEATURED WIFI REMOTE & 4 OPERATION MODES: Vacplus dehumidifier provides the WIFI remote via the Tuyasmart APP that expands the limits of this dehumidifier for bathroom: remote switch; humidity monitoring and adjustment; 4 operation modes to choose ( standard / raining / drying / sleep ) - No more repeatedly leaving your bed or couch to adjust it and combating condensation & damp with further energy savings due to smart app scheduling! And rare is its 35.9 dB average sound while working.
- CONSTANT HUMIDITY & WELL-LIT LED CONTROL PANEL: Vacplus basement dehumidifiers for home, featured with intelligent constant humidity can monitor humidity levels and adjust itself to maintain the selected one - saves you from repeatedly turning the portable dehumidifier on / off. For easier use, the featured top mounted control panel with LED display uses 3 colors to remind you the present humidity. Best choice for baby, pregnant woman, and the old.
- 24-HR TIMER & OPTIONAL DRAINAGE: Vacplus bathroom dehumidifier provides you with 24-hr Timer: you can program it to turn on / off after a specified amount of time, which helps you save money on a tariff offering cheaper energy at certain times of a day. Additionally, this basement dehumidifier can automatically shut off when the 3.1L-tank (with splash guard) is full. And you can also use the dehumidifier drain hose connection to free yourself from the hassle of emptying the bucket.
- LARGE DEHUMIDIFIER WITH POWERFUL & DURABLE COMPRESSOR: Vacplus improves dehumidifying efficiency by 25% - removing up to 50 pints (under 90% RH @ 86°F condition) moisture per day, which helps to prevent the peeling of wallpaper & your furniture away from odors. The dehumidifying efficiency is affected by the air flow, the smaller space means more obvious effect. PS. The amount of dehumidification may change with temperatures & humidity environment.
Price current as of October 7, 2021
Best Dehumidifiers for Ease of Use – Ivation Dehumidifier IVADUWIFI50WP
The Ivation Dehumidifier is an excellent option for energy efficiency. It comes with features such as an adjustable humidistat, fan, thermostat, and timer. When the 2.25-gallon reservoir is at full capacity, the auto-shutoff turns the unit off and alerts the user. However, the included drain hose supports continuous draining by self-emptying the reservoir through a nearby drain thanks to the built-in pump. The auto-defrost feature protects the evaporator coils at low temperatures, allowing you to run the dehumidifier in colder temperatures. This Ivation dehumidifier is also smart home compatible, allowing you to monitor reservoir and humidity levels, adjust settings, and turn the device on and off.
- HIGH-CAPACITY HOME DEHUMIDIFIER | Powerful Compressor Dehumidifier Removes 50 Pints of Moisture/Day Per Department of Energy Standard [60°F at 60% Relative Humidity] | Eco-Friendly, Energy-Star Rated Unit Easily Handles Rooms Up to 4,500 Square Feet Through All Seasons [Equivalent to 70-Pint 2012 DOE Standard]
- BREATHE COOL, COMFORTABLE AIR | By Eliminating Moisture from the Air, Dehumidifiers Help Prevent Odors to Provide Cleaner, Healthier Air for Your Family
- INNOVATIVE APP CONTROL OVER WI-FI | Finally, You Can Monitor & Adjust Humidity Levels from Afar! | Use the FREE Ivation App to Turn the Device On/Off, Check Ambient Temperature, Humidity & Water Levels, Adjust Fan Speed, Set a Timer & More | Great for Checking on Unit From Work, On Vacation or From Another Room
- BRIGHT EASY-READ LCD DISPLAY | Onboard Screen Displays Humidistat & Setting, Fan Speed, Timer, Water & Filter Alerts, C°/F° & More for Effortless Operation | Low-Maintenance Design—Just Plug In, Select Setting & Empty Large 2.25-Gallon Reservoir When Full | Includes Optional Hose Hookup for Continuous Drainage
- AUTOMATIC SAFETY SHUTOFF | Self-Monitoring Unit Performs Safer & Smarter Than Competitors with Built-In Auto-Shutoff [When Water Reaches Capacity], Auto-Restart [in Event of Power Outage] & Auto-Defrost [to Save Energy & Protect Evaporator Coils] | Includes Removable Filter & Smooth-Rolling Caster Wheels
Price current as of October 7, 2021
High humidity damages the structural integrity of your home and makes you uncomfortable. The best dehumidifiers allow you to control your comfort and protect your home with ease. Furthermore, installing smart home technology makes managing humidity more convenient and less stressful.